According to ARISTMARKETING, Sebastian, Texas is a small city located in the southern part of the state. It has a population of approximately 5,000 people and is situated on the banks of the Rio Grande River. The city covers an area of about 4.2 square miles, making it one of the smallest cities in Texas.
Geographically, Sebastian is located in a semi-arid climate zone and experiences hot summers with temperatures often reaching over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Winters are mild with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing. The city receives an average of 18 inches of rain per year and experiences moderate humidity levels throughout the year.
The history of Sebastian dates back to its founding in 1856 by settlers from Mexico and Europe who were drawn to the area for its fertile land and abundant natural resources. Since then, Sebastian has grown steadily into a bustling small city that offers many amenities to its residents including healthcare services, shopping centers, entertainment venues, and more.
Politically, Sebastian is part of Cameron County and elects members to serve on both the county commission and school board. The city’s economy is largely driven by tourism due to its proximity to popular attractions such as South Padre Island as well as oil production in nearby areas such as Brownsville and Harlingen. Additionally, there are several businesses that have been established within Sebastian’s city limits including restaurants, retail stores, professional services companies, etc., which provide jobs for local residents throughout the year.
Sebastian has two schools: Bannister Elementary School which serves students from kindergarten through fifth grade; and Sebastian High School which serves students from sixth through twelfth grade. Both schools offer students access to a wide range of educational opportunities including advanced placement courses as well as extracurricular activities such as athletics teams and student clubs/organizations.
Finally, some notable landmarks located within Sebastian include the historic Old Town Square which was built during Mexico’s rule over Texas; La Plaza de las Culturas (Plaza Square) which features various cultural exhibits; Veteran’s Memorial Park which honors veterans from all branches of service; El Paseo del Rio (Rio Promenade) which offers scenic views along the riverfront; Mission San Miguel de Loredo which served as an early mission outpost for Spanish missionaries; Fort Sebass which was constructed during World War II; San Juan de Dios Church which was established in 1879 by Spanish settlers; and finally La Sala de Arte (Art Room) where local artists showcase their work for public viewing.
Males: 918 (49.2%), Females: 946 (50.8%)
Zip code: 78594
Median resident age: 28.1 years
Median household income: $20,179
Median house value: $35,000
Races in Sebastian:
- Hispanic (95.5%)
- Other race (26.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (4.3%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (3.5%), Polish (1.4%).
Elevation: 37 feet
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Sebastian, Texas is a small rural town located in the heart of Texas. According to the 2010 US Census, the population of Sebastian was 851 people. The population has been steadily growing since then, with an estimated population of 1,052 people in 2018. The majority of the population is white, making up 86.6% of the total population. African Americans make up 6.2%, Hispanics comprise 3%, and Asians make up 1%. The median age for residents is 43 years old and the median household income is $43,750.
The town of Sebastian has a rich history that goes back over 100 years when it was first founded by German settlers in 1884. Since then it has grown into a small but vibrant community with many local businesses and attractions that draw visitors from all over central Texas and beyond. There are several churches in town as well as a library and community center which provide educational and recreational activities for residents to enjoy. The town also boasts three parks which offer plenty of places to play sports or just relax outdoors with friends or family. Additionally, there are several restaurants and cafes where locals can grab a bite to eat or socialize with friends and neighbors in their free time.
For population 25 years and over in Sebastian
- High school or higher: 40.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 2.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 11.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sebastian CDP
- Never married: 26.5%
- Now married: 54.8%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 5.5%
16.6% Foreign born (16.4% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sebastian:
- RIO GRANDE STATE CENTER (about 12 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- SOUTH TEXAS HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- VALLEY BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sebastian:
- VALLEY INTL (about 14 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 33 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
- BROWNSVILLE/SOUTH PADRE ISLAND INT’L (about 41 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: BRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sebastian:
- MID VALLEY (about 18 miles; WESLACO, TX; Abbreviation: T65)
- EDINBURG INTL (about 24 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Abbreviation: 25R)
- CHARLES R JOHNSON (about 29 miles; PORT MANSFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: T05)
Amtrak station near Sebastian:
- 13 miles: HARLINGEN (215 E. MONROE ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sebastian:
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 12 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 27 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 32 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT BROWNSVILLE (about 35 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,044)
- TEXAS SOUTHMOST COLLEGE (about 35 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,556)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 80 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 99 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)