Yarnell, Arizona is a small, unincorporated community located in the Weaver Mountains of Yavapai County. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Arizona. With a population of just over 700 people, it has become an increasingly popular destination for retirees and those seeking a quiet and peaceful town away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The geography of Yarnell is dominated by rolling hills and canyons, with pine forests lining some of the higher elevations. The climate is mostly arid but experiences some periods of moderate rainfall throughout the year.
The history of Yarnell dates back to its founding in 1864 when gold prospectors discovered gold in nearby Peeples Valley. This discovery led to an influx of miners and settlers which eventually gave rise to the community that exists today. Politically, Yarnell is part of Yavapai County and votes on local issues as well as state and national elections with its citizens taking an active role in their local government.
The economy in Yarnell is largely based on agriculture, forestry, mining, tourism, as well as some light manufacturing. There are several schools located within the area including a public elementary school, middle school, high school and vocational school for those interested in pursuing technical careers.
Yarnell also offers many landmarks for visitors to explore such as Goldwater Lake which was built by miners during the gold rush era or Granite Mountain which offers stunning views of both Prescott and Phoenix from its peak. Other popular attractions include Montezuma Castle National Monument which displays ancient Sinagua cliff dwellings or Thumb Butte which provides spectacular views over Prescott Valley.
Males: 344 (53.3%), Females: 301 (46.7%)
Zip code: 85362
Median resident age: 56.6 years
Median household income: $24,792
Median house value: $89,900
Races in Yarnell:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.1%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
Ancestries: English (25.7%), German (20.0%), United States (17.2%), Irish (13.5%), Scotch-Irish (5.1%), Danish (4.0%).
Elevation: 4779 feet
Land area: 8.8 square miles
Yarnell, Arizona is a small town in Yavapai County with a population of 637 people. According to the 2010 United States Census, the racial makeup of Yarnell was 95.2% White, 0.2% African American, 0.9% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.8% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. The median age of Yarnell residents is 59 years old with 35.8% of the population over the age of 65 and only 4.6% under 18 years old. The median household income for Yarnell is $44,125 with 9.7% living below the poverty line and an unemployment rate of 5%.
Yarnell has a strong sense of community and offers a variety of activities for residents to enjoy such as hiking trails at nearby Prescott National Forest or exploring local history at the Yarnell Historical Society Museum & Library located in downtown Yarnell. There are also many churches in town that provide spiritual support and fellowship for area residents as well as nearby recreational areas such as lakes and rivers for fishing, boating and camping trips with family or friends during leisure time.
For population 25 years and over in Yarnell
- High school or higher: 80.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Yarnell CDP
- Never married: 10.5%
- Now married: 52.1%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 25.4%
3.1% Foreign born (2.5% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Yarnell:
- WICKENBURG REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; WICKENBURG, AZ)
- YAVAPAI REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 33 miles; PRESCOTT, AZ)
- DEL E WEBB MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 46 miles; SUN CITY WEST, AZ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Yarnell:
- ERNEST A. LOVE FIELD (about 38 miles; PRESCOTT, AZ; Abbreviation: PRC)
- LUKE AFB (about 55 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Abbreviation: LUF)
- PHOENIX SKY HARBOR INTL (about 76 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Abbreviation: PHX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Yarnell:
- WICKENBURG MUNI (about 18 miles; WICKENBURG, AZ; Abbreviation: E25)
- FOREPAUGH (about 25 miles; WICKENBURG, AZ; Abbreviation: 44E)
- BAGDAD (about 39 miles; BAGDAD, AZ; Abbreviation: E51)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Yarnell:
- YAVAPAI COLLEGE (about 33 miles; PRESCOTT, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,415)
- ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY-WEST (about 58 miles; Glendale, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,334)
- GLENDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 60 miles; GLENDALE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 9,981)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 65 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,165)
- GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,207)
- UNIVERSAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE INC (about 66 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,091)
- PARADISE VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; PHOENIX, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 3,410)