Bermuda Overview

According to Digopaul, Bermuda (also the Bermuda Islands) is an archipelago in the western Atlantic. It is a British territory and consists of an estimated 138 islands, mostly coral islands.

Capital: Hamilton
Biggest city: Hamilton
State: British territory
Language: English
Religion: Protestantism
Surface: 53 km
Population: 64 900 (2013)
Population density: 1,275 residents per km²
Life expectancy: 79 years
Currency: bermudisk dollar (BMD)
1 dollar = 8.39 kr
Time difference: -5 hours
Electricity: 240 V AC, 50 Hz
National Day: 24th of May
Country area code: 1 441
2-Letter country abbreviation: BM (See more abbreviations on Abbreviationfinder)
Business: tourism 60%, financial services 16%, other service sector 13%, industry 10%, agriculture 1%
Climate: subtropical; windy winters

Bermuda flag

Bermuda was discovered in 1503 by the Spaniard Juan Bermúdez. They remained uninhabited until 1609, when a fleet of British colonizers suffered shipwrecks on its coral reefs. They were colonized by the Virginia Company, which claimed the islands from 1612, and English settlers moved there. Indian and African slaves are imported as labor. A British military base was established in 1797. As in other British colonies, slavery ceased in 1834. The Virginia Company and the British Crown jointly managed the country from 1864. The British military base was closed in 1957, but the United States has had a naval base on the archipelago since 1941. The country became a crown colony with significant autonomy in 1968. During the 1970s, there were racial and social conflicts, which later subsided.

60 percent of the population is descended from African slaves, and the other 40 percent are British and Portuguese who came from the Azores and Madeira in the 19th century. Tourism is the most important industry and accounts for just over 30 percent of GDP. Financial services are also important. Bermuda has given its name to the allegedly mysterious Bermuda Triangle, which is located just south of the island.

WORLD HERITAGE

The following objects in Bermuda are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The year in which the item was added to the list is indicated in parentheses.

Old town of Saint George with fortresses, Bermuda (2000)

ELECTRICAL OUTLET

Electricity and electrical outlets in Bermuda

Voltage: 120 V

Frequency: 60 Hz

Type of plug: A, B

Need an adapter: Yes, Swedes need an adapter.

CLIMATE AND WEATHER

Weather in Hamilton

Climate Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Christmas Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average temperature °C 21 20 20 20 22 25 27 28 27 26 24 22
Soltim / day 5 6 7 9 10 11 11 10 9 8 7 6

Bermuda 2

Hamilton

According to Countryaah, Hamilton is the capital of the British colony of Bermuda in the North Atlantic. The city has 969 residents, although some claim that the city has as many as 1,500 residents. It was founded in 1790 and has been the capital since 1815. The city has been a free port since 1956 and a major tourist center.